Tuesday 4 February 2014

Introduction


I have created this blog as a place to air my views on miscellaneous topics, with an emphasis on uncomfortable, unpopular and generally thorny issues.

I mostly intend to comment on political and environmental issues, however I reserve the right to post about other things. I may, for instance, write in support of the Comic Sans font, or in defence of 419 scammers. I may even post recipes (for food, that is; not drugs or bombs) or other completely benign things.

My intention is not to uncritically parrot talking points generated by politically motivated sources, but to attempt to investigate issues myself and add some value to the debate. However, I don't say that I will always be able to do this; some issues are extremely clear-cut, or have been articulated much better by others, and in this case what I write may be little different to what you may read elsewhere. I think there is often some benefit in echoing a preexisting point of view - you help keep the good memes from being drowned out by the bad memes.

What is that weird Kaiju in the header picture?

One of these...



This is a Thorny Devil (Moloch horridus), a small lizard which is fairly common in Central Australia. Despite its name and appearance, it defies the stereotype of Australian animals by not being poisonous or aggro or eating babies.

It's not really intended to be a metaphor for this blog or anything; I just think it looks cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment